I bet Blizzard never saw this coming! Deckard and Griswold are probably rolling over in their graves, unless they're still in some level of hell...

Friday, August 27, 2004

Life in the nation's capital...


Typical Metro crowd...


I've decided that since I'm not working for the library anymore, and therefore have no library stories to relate(other than how the computers in the law library might actually be older than the building...seriously)that instead I'm going to focus on what it's like to be living life as a Texan in D.C. As you can imagine, there are quite a few things up here that are different then back in ol' Big D. Let's start with the Metro(short for Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority.) A large percentage of Washingtonians(DCtonions?) do not actually drive to work. Yes that's correct. I said they do not drive their own cars to work. I know...it's hard to believe. Where I come from if you're not driving a car, it's because your uncle and your friends couldn't figure out the new fangled electrical ignition systems on the 82 Datsun 200SX and burnt out several of your spark plugs in the process, while somehow draining your oil onto the pavement and snapping your serpentine belt for good measure. In other words, if you don't drive it's because you actually do not have a car...and are unwilling to commit a carjacking to get one. The average Texan will push his car to work before riding mass transit. Such is not the case up here, where everyday what appears to be millions of people cram themselves onto what is basically a very large electric train set, and happily glide to work while the schizophrenic guy in front of you mumbles to himself about how "Dubya" is the master puppeteer in scheme to gain control of world jewry. Despite this, there are actually still many people in D.C. who prefer to drive. But let me not misuse the term "drive." Driving implies you actually have some control over the vehicle, and have at least a passing familiarity with traffic rules. Now since I'm from Texas, it may be that I don't realize yet that D.C. actually has no traffic rules, and I'm just slow on the uptake. But I'm prety sure that red and green translate to to the same thing up here as they do down there. Also, Washingtonians honk their horns. Alot. They honk them at other drivers, at pedestrians, at bicylists, at squirrels that have the temerity to run in front of them, and often for no apparent reason at all. I feel the need to stop and advise them gently not to do that if they ever find themselves driving in Dallas, for that kind of excessive honking generally results in a shooting. Nonetheless I must say that Washington is actually a very pedestrian friendly city in that I haven't actually seen anyone hit pedestrian yet.

Anyway I'll report back on various aspect of life in D.C. as the opportunity arises. Next: terror alerts and fat cops with automatic shotguns.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nat-Wu said...

Oh, you have to make a post about how you actually have to work to find white people in DC.

11:29 AM

 
Blogger Alexander Wolfe said...

I don't think I'll be touching that issue in this here blog.

3:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home