I bet Blizzard never saw this coming! Deckard and Griswold are probably rolling over in their graves, unless they're still in some level of hell...

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Musical Analysis Critique, Section 1

So I was randomly surfing blogs(trying to avoid working on Contracts)and found this.

#11- We'll be wrapped around each other's fingers.

"Wrapped around your Finger" is one song by the Police that does not fit in any of their stereotypical categories, suggesting that Sting's flair lies far beyond the frame of the band. I had no clue what the title meant when I first saw it, and with the wide age chasm now it seems that the only The Police's song being remembered is "Every Breath You Take." With my strong admiration for Sting, I decided to give the song a try.The fashion of the song's beginning is unique, with multi-layered instrumentation of the guitar, the bass, and an unknown clear sounded one leading to Sting's poignant, restrained vocals. Without reading its lyrics you are still able to foretell the intensity of emotion because the message Sting's voice sends is quite conspicuous- anger and desperate desire to win someone over. Starting from the third verse, the instrument playing alters with the viewpoint of the lyrics. In the end, Sting was determined that he would turn the tables of someone else's dominance.The lyrics to the song are full of literary allusions, making it a bit challenging to interpret. After reading the
guides, I was amazed at Sting's literary brilliance as well as his musical and psychological insight based on his personal experience.Whether you are a Sting fan or not, this song is a must-listen, which will even enrich your knowledge that has yet been taught in college. (i.e. Sting sings, "I have only come here seeking knowledge, things they would not teach me all in college.")

This is an example of the kind of musical "analysis" of pop songs that I hate. If this gal isn't writing descriptions of EPs for BMG advertising inserts, she will be soon. I'm just wondering if she's thinking that another one of Sting's literary allusions, specifically the line "that book by Nabokov", is similarly brilliant.

Okay, I'm done.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alexander Wolfe said...

BTW, my apologies to Nat-Wu, who is generally a Sting fan.

3:30 PM

 
Blogger adam said...

Yes, he will give the real analysis...

6:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home