I bet Blizzard never saw this coming! Deckard and Griswold are probably rolling over in their graves, unless they're still in some level of hell...

Monday, January 09, 2006

Bot Flies

Alright guys, its time for some more disturbing news. Except for Nat-Wu, who's probably been infected a time or two, most of you probably aren't aware of how sick nature can be. I learned about these critters back in a veterinary entomology course when I was attending Texas A&M. Here's a definition of a bot fly from a website:

"Bot Fly, common name for any member of a family of large, stout-bodied, parasitic flies, also called warble flies. Bot flies are believed to be the fastest-flying of all insects and attain speeds of 64 to 80 km/h (40 to 50 mph). Although harmless in the adult stage, the larvae, called bots, are parasites that live in the body-cavity tissues of mammals, usually causing severe pain and sometimes death. The adult horse bot fly resembles a bee. It lays its eggs on the shoulders or flanks of the animal; the eggs are licked off by the horse and enter the digestive tract, where the larvae quickly hatch and attach themselves to the walls of the stomach and intestines. The sheep bot fly lays eggs in the nostrils of sheep. When hatched, the larvae can block the respiratory tract, thereby causing the animal's death. The human bot fly affects humans and members of the deer family in the Tropics. The female lays her eggs on mosquitoes and other biting insects, which carry them to the actual host. When the eggs come into contact with the warm host, the larvae hatch, burrow beneath the skin, and lodge in the muscles.
Scientific classification: Bot flies constitute the family Oestridae, order Diptera. The horse bot fly is classified as Gasterophilus intestinalis, the sheep bot fly as Oestrus ovis, and the human bot fly as Dermatobia hominis."


Sounds gross enough, but wait there's more. Cattle bot flies burrow into the legs of cattle, crawl up through the animals body over a period of weeks and burst from the tissue of the back in the final stages. When they are at the bursting stage they near the size of a quarter. We're not talking about just the African jungle, we're talking about North America. Here's a diary account of someone's trials:

"As I type, I am ready to puke. I can feel them wiggling around in my arm. The larvae have sharp spines to help them stay lodged in their new home, so whenever they move around it hurts like hell. They also have a little breathing tube that I can actually see emanating from the puncture made by the mosquito. I have been told that the larvae are quite harmless and that there is nothing to fear. If I like the little darlings, I can simply let them grow to maturity whereupon they will pack their bags and leave the roost, kissing daddy goodbye. But the ongoing nauseous feeling of maggots growing in me is a total turn-off. It is creeping my girlfriend out and I am not allowed in the same bed as her. She is afraid they may hatch in the middle of the night.
I have three more days to go before I return to the clinic. So for three more days I will attempt to forget about these things at every opportunity. That is, until one of them decides to wiggle around. I wonder what the folk on the subway would think if they knew.

THE BIG DAY
Today's the big day. Iggy and Squiggy get their walking papers. I've had it. These things have long outgrown their usefulness as the ultimate gross-out tool. Besides I no longer enjoy the dubious distinction of being a medical freak. I simply want to go back to my life prior to becoming a maggot-infested host.
The larvae seem to have grown. At least the bumps on my arm are growing so we suspect it is the little critters gobbling away on my tender bod. The doctor's scalpel cannot strike soon enough...
It was not to be. Apparently cutting out the larvae is a last resort, and one other step was recommended. I was instructed to take beer caps, fill them full of Vaseline, place the beer caps over the spot, and tape them tightly against my skin. Amazingly, this method of treatment has a long and positive history. The idea was that the maggots would start to suffocate and voluntarily leave the host searching for air. The bugs enter the vaseline-filled bottle cap where they eventually die of asphyxiation. So much for modern medicine.
I needed no encouragement to generate new beer bottle caps for my treatment. I got home and made a beeline for the fridge. Equipped with the tools for an offensive strike, I felt confident. My journey was almost over.
But wait: perhaps this was an opportunity for me to do some research and experimentation. The doctor said that the maggots didn't like tobacco resin. If I smother their nest with the resin, they might exit on their own accord. I lit up a smoke and drank my beers. It made sense somehow. Tobacco is used by the Indians of the Lacandon jungle to ward off insects and snakes as well. Many Indians plant tobacco around their huts for this very purpose. They also eat lots of hot peppers which when sweated out coats the body with a natural anti mosquito repellent, but it was a little too late for me to try that trick.
Soon I had enough resin --- two smokes worth, to be precise. I covered one of the large red sores on my arm and waited. Magnifying glass in hand, I searched for any sign of movement. Nada, Iggy wouldn't budge.
Plan B. We filled two beer caps with Vaseline and taped them to my arm. I felt a little movement after about twenty minutes, then nothing. I watched TV, then took my baby bot-flies off to bed.

LIBERATING IGGY
The next morning I was off to the hospital again. The small room was filled to capacity with curious students and interns. The doctor removed the beer caps and inspected the area. Nothing. The larvae were still in me. However, there had been absolutely no wiggling at all for many hours. We assumed that the beasts were dead. The doctor then started squeezing one of the wounds to extract the carcasses. If you would like to know how this feels, ask somebody to pinch you as hard as they can and not let go for at least ten minutes.
The doctor pinched and pinched. Everyone watched in anticipation. Then all of a sudden part of the maggot popped out of the hole. It was like a scene out of the movie Alien. I screamed. Not because it hurt but because it was the grossest thing I had ever witnessed in my life. The doc gave another big squeeze and more of the thing popped out. I let out an even bigger scream as the thing's body was now clearly oozing out of the hole.
As everybody in the room jostled to get a closer look, the doctor advised me not to watch anymore. I agreed. Finally, the whole thing popped out. One down, one to go. The doc started a new squeezing frenzy but after a few minutes he was exhausted. A new doctor took over. The pinching intensified. My arm felt like one big bruise!
Squiggy would not budge. No matter how much the doctors squeezed, the maggot would not exit. My arm was numb with pain. We finally agreed to let him stay there and my white blood cells would have a picnic on the maggot's body. The doctor bottled my former house-pet for me to show everyone at home, and off I went, Fly-Boy no more. Over time the swelling in my arm has subsided.

POSTSCRIPT
You could say that I possess a deeper affinity with the insect world after my ordeal, although I am not eager to repeat the experience of serving as a maggot host. Instead, the words of my jungle brother now have come into sharper focus. He once told me that it was not so much the big things in the jungle that you have to worry about, but the little things. How right he was. "







8 Comments:

Blogger adam said...

Digusting... but proof of an intelligent designer! A hateful, madman intelligent designer...

5:23 PM

 
Blogger Seamus said...

Or they could be the product of some random process of evolution. Although you'd have to explain why evolutionary charts put winged insects at 300 million years ago, and mammals 100 million years later. Somehow these insects that rely 100% on well developed mammals for their entire life cycle lived some hunred million years previously. But of course since there isn't any real data to challenge or compare you can just modify the timelines to suit your "objective" needs.

Either way, they got here somehow.

6:28 PM

 
Blogger Seamus said...

It seems like a good way to expel these creatures would be attaching a high-powered vacuum to the infected aera. You could suck them right out...I think...

8:34 PM

 
Blogger Alexander Wolfe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:29 AM

 
Blogger Seamus said...

I concur xanthippas, I don't think I could stand waiting either. It would be coming out the moment I found out.

If you catch it really early it wouldn't be very big.

This doesn't make Alien seem so strange afterall.

8:54 AM

 
Blogger Nat-Wu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:58 AM

 
Blogger Alexander Wolfe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.musicrecyclery.com/search.php?SKU=1160592

Botfly only $7.99

Good buy. Good Fly.

1:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home